One of the greatest oral health risks to your smile occurs due to gum disease. Gum disease is an infection of your gum tissues that can arise due to lifestyle choices, your diet, poor oral hygiene or lack of dental visits. To help protect your smile from early stages of gum disease, also known as gingivitis, it is important to be aware of its symptoms and risk factors. Common issues and problems are as follows:
– If your gums are frequently bleeding or easily bleed with even the slightest touch, it could be linked to gingivitis.
– The frequent occurrence of bad breath, also referred to as halitosis, could be a sign of an underlying condition such as gingivitis.
– If you are suffering from gingivitis, it can often show in the appearance of your gums which may appear swollen, inflamed or extremely red.
– Unhealthy habits such as smoking or chewing tobacco can increase your risk for gum tissue infections.
– If you are pregnant, suffer from diabetes or are taking various forms of medications, you could be at an increased risk for developing gingivitis
– Poor oral hygiene is a known cause and risk factor for gingivitis.
If you would like to set up a gingivitis prevention or treatment plan or would like an all-inclusive oral exam from Dr. Steven Wolfson and our team at our dentist office, please call us at 713-789-1225. We are here to be the dentist you require in Houston, Texas.