How can you tell if you have gum disease? Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a very common, yet serious oral infection to your gum tissue. Gum disease is caused by a variety of factors, including plaque buildup within our mouths, that if left untreated, can steadily destroy your gums and cause irreparable tooth loss.
Prevent gum disease from annihilating your smile by keeping track of the following signs that demonstrate it may be occurring:
– Do you typically have loose teeth that feel wobbly?
– Do your gums typically bleed when eating food or brushing and flossing?
– Do you continue to practice bad habits for your oral health such as smoking or chewing tobacco, or using drugs?
– Have you been prescribed any medications that list gum disease as a typical side effect?
– Do you suffer from regular bouts of halitosis (bad breath) no matter how often you brush and floss?
– Do you have sensitive gums that appear swollen, tender, easily bruised, or are red and bleeding?
– Does it appear as if your gums are pulling back away from your teeth, exposing more of their roots?
Keeping your teeth clean will lower the risk of gum disease. To schedule a professional cleaning at Steven Wolfson, DDS with Dr. Steven Wolfson and our team at our dentist office in Houston, Texas, simply give us a call at 713-789-1225. We look forward to hearing from you.